Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Horrors

Earlier this year while deciding which DVD to rent at the video store here on Cobb Mountain, I watched a family out of the corner of my eye while they were making their decision.

Dad and Mom, a boy about ten, and a younger boy who was probably five or six, wandered in and out of the rows. I think what caught my attention was the affection the parents had for their boys. To my surprise, the movie they decided to watch (family consensus) was SAW 2.

The day before I'd taught a writing lesson to first graders. The objective was to write using sensory details. The classroom teacher suggested that the students write about a dream they'd had. One child volunteered that Chucky was in his dream, and then one child after another talked about Chucky showing up in theirs. Chucky's one busy boogeyman. I asked the class how many of them had watched a movie with Chucky in it.

All but one or two kids raised their hands; even the sweetest little girls who usually wrote about rainbows and ponies were enthusiastically waving, wanting to share their favorite scenes.
I don't have children, but I have a feeling I'd be "old fashioned" about what I'd let my six year old watch.

At the video store, this was on my mind as I watched the family happily leave with SAW 2 tucked under the eldest son's arm. I rarely speak my mind in public, but maybe because the lesson was had just happened, I made a comment to the owner of the store about the purchase.

A man standing behind me overheard and asked, "How old is old enough for kids to watch horror?"

Taken off guard, I said, "I don't know. Twelve?" (If I had had my wits about me, I'd probably have said an older age.)

He stepped forward and pointed his finger at me, "You're saying my 11 year old isn't old enough to watch Saw 2?"

I told him my story about the first graders, and he then asked me,"But weren't they giggling?"

At this point I was almost in tears, but I managed to sputter, "Yes, they were . . ."

In a louder voice, the man asked, "And so what's wrong with it?"

I tried to say that I felt kids are growing up too fast, that I wanted them to be innocent for as long as possible, that I hated for kids to become inured to violence, having graphic violence implanted in their brains from the time they're born, and how hard it has been at times to get certain students to write something that doesn't come canned out of a movie script with heads blowing off right and left. I wanted to tell him about my worries about our society becoming desensitised to violence. I wanted to site studies about how video games have been linked to acts of violence among young men, and the anger and dread I felt when I read about how players get more points in Grand Theft Auto from shooting prostitutes after raping them.

I was flustered and couldn't talk. I managed to pay for my movie and got out of there. Then driving home, I thought about HUNGRY. Okay, here I was upset about SAW 2 and Chucky inhabiting the dreams of first graders. . . and what had I written? Deborah and her family eat people, for goodness sakes! Does the humor justify the violence in the book?

When I was writing the novel, I didn't take the Jones family dietary habits seriously because of the humor, and I didn't think anyone else would either. Willy, Deborah's best friend, and his parents are into horror movies, but when I was thinking classic horror, like Dracula and The Birds, (a movie I wasn't allowed to see when I was six or seven.) Deborah struggles with her family and culture's idea of what makes a good meal, so will kids see the importance of this?

I hope so. I hope the novel will put what is gratuitous in context and will give the little Estefanies and Gabriels a point of reference as they grow older, that they'll understand Deborah's delimma, and not just get off on the feeding she does.

Did the parents of the boys I saw in the video store talk to their kids about what they were watching after Saw 2 was over? I hope so. I hope parents will take to their kids about HUNGRY, as well.

5 comments:

Timberati said...

I'll bet the parents didn't allow their kids to see sex scenes.

As a parent who went through the dilemma of what my kids could see when, I never allowed them to watch slasher movies. The choice of Saw 2 was absurd. People is der funniest animals.

As for Hungry, Deborah and her parents are like every other carnivore on the planet. Every day something eats something else. “The only game on this planet is survival. We are all engaged in this game. You can’t just take humans and separate them out. Everything lives together. Life Survives.” (Lawrence Anthony on CBS Sunday Morning, April 29, 2007) Deborah learns about the value of friendship and grows to like people as special individuals. It is her choice, her growth, which makes the story work.

I wouldn’t overly stress about Willy and his family liking horror movies. Rent Summer School (1987) with Mark Harmon. One of the characters is called Chainsaw because he likes The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Norm

Janet Grace Riehl said...

Alethea, Good for you to speak up, and I feel for your "come-up-ance" in the video store. E-gad! You raise many good points (FYI--If you can paragraph on this program, I'd find it easier reading.)

Fairytales are premised on violence and gore and yet there is more symbology there than in SAW, I expect. I'm a peruser of fairytales, not horror movies (for the same reason you site for children--images seep right into my dreams like leach minerals).

I expect that HUNGRY has more this underlying symbology of the fairytale, rather than the horror movie, no?

Janet Grace Riehl said...

Oh, yes! Great to see the scan-in of your original artwork. As you know, I'm a huge fan. It would be worth a post of it's own to say the story of the artwork.

Anonymous said...

Don't let people like that get to you. It's ridiculous; It's almost to the point where certain people just shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

I quote: "Take a look around, only stupid people are breeding." ^__^ LOL. (can't remember for the life of me where that quote came from.)

As for the run in with "lake-county's finest" he condemed himself with his own mouth; when he asked about his 11 year-old being to young to watch Saw 2, I would have looked him right in the eye and said, "Yes." That would have POd him into a stuttering mess. Then just smile and say, "Have a nice evening."

The human mind is such a fun toy to play with.

Parents are seriously becoming horrible models for their children; so they grow up and become unproductive citizens who will probably do jail time at least once in their life.

We need more concerned people like you! Go Alethea!

Anonymous said...

Alethea,

Today, I think there is murkiness when it comes to the horror and the kill and maim genre. Unfortunately, I don't think I have truly heard or seen a horror film in a long time. Films like Saw and Hostel are the only films that are currently being released to the public, so the general public unfortunately takes what they are given.

I'm not a big fan of these kinds of movies, and I thank my parents for it. They always made the safer choice in what we saw, so we got stuck with Sound of Music, ET, and To Kill a Mockingbird. But we didn't know any better, so we watched them and enjoyed them. I believe that once parents let certain programming into their house, it's almost impossible to get it out. Call it whatever you like, but graphic sex and violence is addicting.

Cool blog,
Marc